TORONTO — Karen Fenwick, co-chair of National Council of Jewish Women – Toronto section’s Passover Food Drive, is appealing to the community for donations after the annual campaign failed to keep pace with last year’s fundraising.
As of March 28, the drive had raised $25,000 less than it had by the same date in 2011, which could affect next year’s campaign.
That’s because the food drive had to make up for the shortfall by tapping into contingency funds it usually uses to start buying food in the summer for the following Passover, Fenwick said.
Delivery day, March 25, was very successful, she said. “Volunteers came out to the deliver the food, and every recipient on the list received a box.
“We have to think long and hard about next year, though. We do not want to cut the recipient list, and we don’t want to decrease the amount of food in the box, so we’ll have to look at more efficient ways of running the drive.”
The food drive is very important, Fenwick said, “especially for those who are struggling financially. We believe that all Jews should be able to celebrate Passover with dignity.
“I am sad and frightened, because the future of the drive is unsure. We can’t go down $25,000 next year.”
To inquire about donating funds, call NCJW Toronto section, 416-633-5100.