Fire damages kosher meat plant at ex-site of Agriprocessors
POSTVILLE, Iowa — Fire damaged the first floor of the former site of the Agriprocessors kosher meat processing plant in Iowa.
The late Friday night fire at Agri Star Meat & Poultry in Postville started in a dryer that was left on in the plant’s laundry room, according to reports, and has been classified as accidental. No one was inside the plant when the fire broke out.
Firefighters who answered the call several hours after the blaze started prevented its spread to the second and third floors of the plant, where chemicals and manufacturing materials including cardboard and plastic foam trays are located, according to The Associated Press.