Home News Israel Hebron soldier named, officially charged with manslaughter

Hebron soldier named, officially charged with manslaughter

1452
0
Scene of the incident YOUTUBE SCREENSHOT
Scene of the incident where IDF soldier Elor Azaria shot a prone Palestinian attacker YOUTUBE SCREENSHOT

JERUSALEM — The Israeli soldier who was captured on video shooting an already downed Palestinian assailant in the head was charged Monday with manslaughter.

The charge in Jaffa Military Court marked the first time in over 10 years that an Israeli soldier has been charged with manslaughter for a killing that took place during field operations, according to Ha’aretz.

Also on Monday, a gag order was lifted on identifying the soldier. He was named as Elor Azaria, 19, of Ramle. Azaria is a member of the Kfir Brigade, an Israel Defence Forces infantry division whose specialties are counter terrorism and urban warfare.

Azaria last month shot Abdel Fattah al-Sharif in Hebron, a West Bank city that has been a focal point of a seven-month wave of Palestinian violence against Israelis. He arrived on the scene after al-Sharif and an accomplice had stabbed Israeli soldiers and the accomplice had been killed.

READ: HEBRON SHOOTING RAISES SERIOUS QUESTIONS

The soldier has said that when he shot al-Sharif, who was supine and unarmed, he feared the Palestinian might be about to detonate an explosive.

Last week, the military prosecutor said a video of the incident shows that Azaria “was not as moved and agitated as he claimed.” The prosecutor also confirmed that the autopsy showed that the soldier’s shot to the head was what killed the assailant.

Meanwhile, a rally scheduled for Tuesday in Tel Aviv in support of Azaria will go forward without its headliners.

On Monday, the popular singer Eyal Golan said he would not participate, a day after saying he would sing at the rally to support the soldier and his family.

“I decided yesterday to go and support the soldier and embrace his family. I never thought to go against the IDF chief of staff, whom I greatly admire. I never wanted to go against the IDF, which is the people’s army,” Golan said in a statement.

READ: MOTHER OF HEBRON SOLDIER URGES NETANYAHU TO RELEASE SON CHARGED WITH MANSLAUGHTER

“To my regret, a part of the public took this to a place of values ​​and democracy, while all I wanted was to do was sing and embrace, in the name of art and myself as a singer, as a person. Unfortunately, I see that there are those who take my desire into the political realm, as though I am declaring war against the army.”

He called on the soldier and his family to “stay strong.”

Singer David D’Or also canceled his participation, citing the politicization of the event and a conflicting engagement.

The rapper Subliminal on Monday said he would participate in the rally.

Share and enjoy !